Skip to main content
Lease Violations

5-Day Notice

If a tenant or guest of the tenant and present in the unit physically assaults or threatens to physically assault someone, illegally uses a firearm or other weapon, possesses a controlled substance that the tenant knows about or should reasonably know about that is not prescribed, or any other activity or threatens any other activity which would threaten the health and safety of any other person involved or actual damage to the property, the landlord may serve the tenant with a 5-day notice to move out.  The tenant then has 5 days from delivery of the notice to move out.

This does not apply if the tenant seeks a protective order or other similar relief against the person conducting the activity or if the tenant reports the activity to a law enforcement agency in an effort to initiate a criminal action against the person conducting the activity.

What to do if you receive a 5-Day Notice

If you conducted illegal or violent activity that is stated in the notice, you will need to make arrangements to move within the 5 days. If someone else committed or threatened the activity, you may file to seek a protection order or file a police report. If you are unable or unwilling to do so, you will need to move within the 5 days.  If you dispute the activity that allegedly took place at your residence, you should contact our Tenant Support Specialist or an attorney. See Legal Help.

Nebraska Statute 76-1431(4)(5)

The content on this site is for informational purposes only.

Tenant Support Services does not provide legal representation. Click here for the full disclaimer.